Young Cooperators Convene for Leadership & Development Program
December 6, 2021
In conjunction with NMPF’s annual meeting, more than 75 young dairy farmer leaders met in Las Vegas for the National Young Cooperators (YC) Leadership and Development Program. Producers from 13 member cooperatives participated in two days of professional development training Nov. 14-15. Offerings included:
- A panel of dairy farmers discussing how they manage workforce challenges;
- A session on managing stress and leading through adversity;
- A discussion about bridging the “great divide” between on-farm practices and consumer perceptions;
- A consumer panel focused on sustainability and animal care;
- A conversation about communicating with the public about dairy; and
- A deep dive into ecosystem service markets.
The National YC Program was created in 1950 to provide up-and-coming dairy leaders with a better understanding of issues facing farmers and their cooperatives. The event was sponsored by Farm Credit.
Between now and the program’s capstone Dairy Policy and Legislative Forum in June, the YC program will offer monthly, 45-minute virtual events alternating among dairy-focused webinars, virtual farm tours and industry leader panels. Employees and owners of dairy farms that are members of an NMPF member cooperative and under the age of 45, as well as co-op staff, are invited to participate.