FARM, Beef Quality Assurance Programs Seek Nominations for Joint Dairy Award
May 7, 2018
The National Dairy Farmers Assuring Responsible Management (FARM) Program and the Beef Quality Assurance (BQA) program are now accepting nominations for the first-ever joint FARM/BQA Dairy Award for 2019. The deadline to apply is June 1, 2018.
The awards honor outstanding beef and dairy producers and marketers that demonstrate the best animal care and handling principles as part of their day-to-day operations. This is an opportunity for NMPF member cooperatives and FARM participants to recognize dairy farmers that they believe demonstrate a strong commitment to quality animal care. NMPF board member Chris Kraft received the honor in 2017 (Chris and his wife are pictured right).
The winner of the BQA/FARM Dairy Award is selected by a committee of animal scientists, FARM staff, BQA staff and industry representatives based on a set of five criteria:
- The farm’s collective BQA and FARM practices, accomplishments and goals;
- Relevant local, regional and national BQA and/or dairy promotion group or cooperative leadership;
- Promotion and improvement of animal care practices, BQA or FARM program and consumer perception of beef or dairy industries;
- Effectiveness in promoting and implementing BQA practices; and
- Completion of the FARM Version 3.0 Animal Care Evaluation and implementation of program requirements.
Any individual, group or organization can nominate a single dairy operation for the award. Individuals and families may not nominate themselves, though they can be involved when preparing the application.
The award was previously offered solely by BQA, whose awards recognize outstanding members of the beef industry. NMPF and FARM Animal Care partners with both the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association and BQA to create producer resources on stockmanship, dairy beef welfare and quality, and animal care.Download